If, however, you are up for adventure and would like to make your very own Crab Cakes, keep reading... And please don't email me or post a comment about how it's cruel to eat these little guys. I love seafood and I am not a vegetarian, and I warned you!
I told my husband I may need his help because I just wasn't sure I could do this... Then I just to be brave and go for it! So I covered up it's eyes up with a paper towel, flipped him over, and proceeded. I won't share all the details because someone has already done that.
THANK YOU Paul Johnson, founder of the Monterey Fish Market in San Francisco for your video on how to prepare a Dungeness Crab. I could not have done this without you! I have included the link to his video in case you would like to make crab cakes, host a crab feast for dinner guests, or just see how the process goes.
Why crab cakes? I love to cook and I am always finding recipes online, through Pinterest.com, etc. I also love seafood! I grew up eating lobster and crab legs at Red Lobster, & my mom served these a few times while growing up. Really yummy, dipped in butter.... Okay, so a few weeks ago I decided it would be fun to go to our local library and find some recipe books (the big, thick kind with lots of pictures - because I get tired of being on my laptop and my phone all the time), to see what kind of creativity I could come up with. I found a crab cake recipe & decided to try it.
And why a whole crab? Well, when I went to the store to buy Dungeness Crab, I thought it would already be cut up, in a bag, frozen, & ready to go. Nope! This is how it was sold. So I brought this little guy home. I had to.
Recipe for Dungeness Crab Cakes from "A Taste of Washington, Favorite Recipes from the Evergreen State", by Michelle Morris.
This is exactly what you are served if you go to Red Lobster
and order crab legs... Not too scary.

Something I just learned is that there is a small town called Dungeness, Washington not too far from Seattle. According to Dungeness.com/crab/, The Dungeness Crab gets its common name from the town of Dungeness, Washington, now called Old Town Dungeness, where the first commercial harvesting of the crab was done. The Dungeness Crab is the only commercially important crab in the state of Washington's territorial waters and was the first shellfish harvested commercially on the North Pacific Coast.
Crab Cakes prepared, ready to cook
Crab Cakes cooking on the stove top
The finished product! These were so yummy, very fun to make, & my husband liked them as well. The cool thing is that I bought a pound and a half of crab, and saved half for another recipe I will make next week. I love cooking adventures and trying new recipes. Thanks for joining me on my latest adventure.
I hope you have a wonderfully blessed day!
Paula :)







No comments:
Post a Comment